Lately I've been on the prowl for the perfect quick meal--you know the kind that I can just mix a few ingredients together and a half an hour later have a mouthwatering dish on the table. Thanks to Amanda from the Lady Okie blog, my search has ended.
Enter cheeseburger macaroni. It's meaty, cheesy, spicy, pretty much everything you want in a cheeseburger, you get in this macaroni meal. I'm telling y'all it's become my favorite go-to meal. And the husband is a huge fan of it too. He took one bite of it and announced that I should share it with you all because it was that absolutely amazing! (I love that Zach is getting the hang of this whole bloggy husband thing.)
- 1 lb hamburger meat, preferably already browned
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 1/2c salsa or 1 can of Rotel tomatoes
- 2 c water or beef broth
- 1 1/2 c elbow macaroni
For the cheese sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 c milk
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. If your hamburger isn't already, brown and drain the meat. Stir in taco seasoning, the 2 cups of water/beef broth (I used half water, half broth just to mix things up a little), and the macaroni.
2. Heat until the mixture is boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and cover for about 12 to 14 minutes until the macaroni is tender.
3. Now that the macaroni/meat mixture is simmering, we will start the cheese sauce.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flower and cook, whisking continuously, for about 5 minutes until it is fragrant and just a little bit browned.
5. Whisk in the milk and bring to a rolling boil. Keep mixing until its smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until its melted. Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
6. Pour the cheese sauce over the hamburger mixture and stir it gently to combine. There you have it! Now dig in and enjoy some yummy cheeseburger macaroni!!!
What's your special go-to recipe?