I've been having some cravings lately....namely for some yummy Mexican and Chinese recipes. Other than taco salad, I have yet to find me a really yummy Spanish dish (If anyone haves a recipe they absolutely love, I would LOVE to hear about it!!). But I have found a few really great Asian-inspired meals. This is one of them!
The chicken is cooked exactly the same as in my recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken which is delicious in itself but the General Tso sauce is the real star of this dish. Hubby voted this sauce as almost as good as the General Tso's from his local restaurant back home, Dragon Palace. Quite a recommendation considering I'm fairly certain their recipe is the very best tasting in the whole wide world!
I made a few modifications to the original recipe which I've also included in italics.
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce (I didn't have Hoisin Sauce on hand so I substituted it with an extra tbsp each of brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, and soy sauce + 1 tsp extra sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar (I used Apple cider vinegar)
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 c Water
- 3-4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 to 2 Chicken Breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 Green Onions, chopped (optional)
- 3 Tbsp fresh Ginger, grated or finely chopped (optional--I used garlic instead)
- Hot Pepper Flakes
- Sesame Seeds (optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, hoisin sauce, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil, and water. Remember if you are substituting the hoisin sauce to follow the directions in italics. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Dredge the chicken in the cornstarch and then the egg, shake off excess. Cook the chicken in the olive oil just until browned.
3. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 casserole dish. Toss the chicken and sauce mixture until chicken is fully coated. Add to casserole dish and stir, coating evenly. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often. During the last ten minutes add chopped onions, ginger, and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!!!!